Saturday, April 15, 2006

Good People Are Still Around...

In college, the week before any kind of holiday, everybody tends to ask you what you are doing for the holiday. Every single one of my friends was going somewhere for Easter weekend. I, however, was not. My answer of, "Study, do laundry, clean" sort of took them by surprise. They all talked about how excited they were for the annual Easter dinner....I would be eating Easy Mac and Chefboyardee. After being asked what my plans were for the holiday weekend I eventually just took to shrugging my shoulders and saying "Haven't figured it out yet."

Now, it isn't that I don't want to go home for Easter, or that I don't have the money or anything like that. The truth is, I really just don't have anywhere to go. My dad is working out of town for the whole weekend--so going to his house would be kind of pointless because I would just sit in his house and study, do laundry, and clean. Going to my mom's always throws me for a loop and it generally takes me at least a week to get back to normal after I've been with her for any amount of time.

So on Thursday I was at work when one of the mom's came in to pick up her daughter. She asked me if I could watch her dogs overnight while they went on a short, overnight trip. I told her sure. Then she asked if I was sure it was okay because she thought she might be imposing on my holiday plans. I told her that I would be in town and it wouldn't be a problem. So Thursday night she called me up and invited me over to have Easter dinner with her and her family. I didn't realize how much it bothered me that I would be alone for the holiday until she invited me over. Easter was always a family get together in my house...this is actually the first year I won't be with any family, or my boyfriend, for Easter--and honestly, it's hard. So bless her heart, there are still good people out there in the world.

Have a great Easter everybody...may yours be as special and important as mine :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Jen, I hope you had a wonderful Easter, no matter how you spent it. So, HAPPY EASTER!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

That's a cool story.

I need to try and remember friends who might not have anywhere to go on holidays. Just about nothing is lonelier than a holiday alone.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home