Monday, February 13, 2006

Creative Expression...

I try to promote creative expression in my preschoolers. I don't ask them to paint something specific, I just let them paint. The same goes for drawing, building with blocks, singing, writing, ect. I will ask them what they are painting, drawing, building, or writing but I don't limit them by saying "you have to paint, write, build _____." That said, I do have my limits for what I consider to be appropriate creative expression-and it doesn't always match what some parents think is appropriate creative expression, as I found out today.

We have this boy in our preschool class. He's 4, very intelligent, cute as a button, and has a very impressive imagination. Today he came in with his mom, got his stuff off, and washed his hands. Then he came out of the bathroom and started yelling/screaming, in various pitches, random vowels and consonants. No real words at all, just completely random. At the time I was talking to his mom. After a minute or 2 of these random vocalizations I turned around a said, "K***, please stop, you are hurting our ears. You can do that when we are outside." Then I turned back to his mom, intending on continuing the coversation. She says to me, "Oh, that's his way of 'creatively expressing himself', he does it all the time at home."

Okay, now I understand that kids need creative outlets, and that they can be loud. But honestly, I don't want to listen to a high pitched squeal of random letters at 7:30 in the morning. I don't want to listen to it period, but there is a time and a place for it-(like outside)-if that's what he needs to do to 'creatively express' himself, regardless of how I feel out it.

So, for those parents and teachers out there, what do your kids do to creatively express themselves?

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Mine certainly do not scream inside like that (or outside for that matter) nor do they get the impression that when an adult says something, they can override it.

We have a parent at our preschool whose son WALKS ALL OVER HER - hits her, yells at her, defies her. She says it is how he expresses himself. I'm sorry, but bodily harm to you as a mom or to himself is not creatively expressing oneself but HARMING SOMEONE. Not acceptable anywhere.

I think I would let the parent know that there is a place for such outlets (like outside) but there are rules we have to follow inside for the sake of everyone. Inside voices is one of those. The child is more than welcome to use that form of expression when outside, but he will follow the rules and there WILL be consequences if he can't.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home