Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Choking Game

I was looking on the Dr. Phil website today to see what shows were on this week-(yes, I do watch the shows sometimes) and came across one in particular that peaked my interest. It's about a game that teens and pre-teens play called "The Choking Game." In this game, they put pressure on their necks using hands, belts, shoelaces, etc. until they get a high from the lack of oxygen. Then they let go. However, this game has killed many teens & pre-teens and will continue to kill many more. Teens & pre-teens play this game in groups, in the locker room, and alone. When they play it alone, they have only a few short moments to release the hold on their neck before they pass out and eventually die due to lack of oxygen and blood flow to the brain--it's like hanging yourself.

I'm not even really sure what to say. In a way it boggles my mind that kids do this, but in another way--I can completely see it happening. I can honestly say that as a teenager, if someone had brought this up to me--I might've tried it. Peer pressure and curiosity are amazingly powerful in a teenager's life. That and the fact that the part of the brain helps with logical decision making doesn't fully develop until after the teenage years. I honestly wouldn't even call it a "game." When a game is killing children across the nation and around the world--it's not a game. Soccer is a game, baseball is a game, solitaire is a game...choking yourself to get a high from the lack of oxygen is not a game--in my opinion.

I found two articles that explain it a little better then I have:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=987294&page=1

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/09/choking.game/index.html

3 Comments:

Blogger Morris said...

I have no idea why you could trust Dr. Phil, he's a scam, he doesn't care about people, just sponors money! Other then that, glad you and Kenny are doing okay. Maybe we will talk over IM sometimes.

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

7:04 PM  
Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

For this, it's not a matter of trusting Dr. Phil. This choking game is a "real" thing. Sadly, I know, because we lost our 16 year old son (also in Michigan) to this game. He was a "good kid" - not rebellious, loved life, loved God - yet he tried a foolish thing that killed him. Many kids are trying this. Know about this - be informed. Kids from young ages to adults are doing this.
http://matthewsstory.com

Matthew's Mom

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a college student. and a youth leader in my church. and i can remember when i was in middle school; having friends that would play the choking game. in one case a friend put a hole in the wall with her head as she fell to the floor when she decided to play by her self by putting pressure on her neck.and this was almost ten years ago. i'm kinda worried that its just now hitting the media. how many kids have actually played this game? and how many have died?
anythoughts?
jennysnake16@yahoo.com

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home