Thursday, August 04, 2005

Proper Terms for Anatomy, & Why Kids Should Know It...

I know this is a sensitive subject and I will probably get some comments that aren't too happy with this post. But as a preschool teacher, I feel that it's necessary to bring this topic up because it is a very hard thing for many parents to accept.

At the center I work at, we teach the children the proper terms for their genitalia. Just basic stuff, girls have a vagina and boys have a penis and we also use the term bottom, not bum-("Sit on your bottom please" or "Bottoms go on chairs, not feet"). The reason we do this is because if the child is ever molested or touched inappropriately they will be able to tell a police officer, teacher, or CPS person where they were touched. I will warn you before going on, I feel very strongly about children knowing these things.

I had a child a year and a half ago came up to me and say "daddy touched my turtle." The child did not look particularly upset so I figured the child had a pet turtle. After talking to the child over the course of 2 days I realized that his "turtle" that daddy touched was actually his penis. Obviously CPS was called and a full investigation was launched, but had this child known the correct terminology, I wouldn't have sent this child home with his father for 2 days thinking that the child had a pet turtle and that they were playing with it together. Now, rant at me all you want. To my defense, it was an honest mistake. It wasn't until the child talked about daddy touching him in other places before touching his turtle that the red flags went up.

I have always felt strongly about children knowing that they have a vagina or penis and bottom. After this incident, I feel even more strongly about it. At the center I work at I have parents who will yell and scream at me and the other teachers for teaching their children this terminology. Now, it's not like we just do it without informing the parents, we send out a newsletter and tell the parents that during this time period we will be teaching your child about stranger danger and the correct terminology for their genitalia. But nonetheless, we have parents who come in just irate with us for teaching their children about their bodies.

Now I know some of you will be upset with me for posting this, but this is where I stand on the issue and I feel that it is very important for children, especially young children, to know these things.

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

We started with Travis basically from birth about penises. He's never known another name for it (because there technically isn't one). He doesn't think the word is funny or goofy or strange - it is what we have always called it.

Boobs - now that's a different story. The boy is all about boobies and loves to laugh that Mommy has big ones with milk for Tyler. Ugh - BOYS!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Judy,
Lol. Boys will be boys I guess. It's great that he knows the proper term for his penis though. Good for you.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Beth,
Sometimes we get kids who just crack up laughing if we say the proper term. In a class of 20, if one starts, they all do it. Good luck.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I agree with you about the terms and the kids needing to know it. He called his penis a peepee for the longest time, but has learned it is a penis. I told him the polite thing to call it is a private.
In addition to what you put there, parents need to teach their children that anytime they are hit, or touched in a private area they are to tell their mom immediately.. Or grandma or dad whoever it is that is the primary person giving care. They need to know that it is offlimits, thats why I called it a private I taught him that it was a special place that no one looked at or touched. Too often parents forget stressing this to their kids is important. Then when they are molested they will know to tell you, even if they dont fully understand it was wrong.

In the usa, the facts are 3 of 4 girls will be sexually assualted before the age of 18, 1 of 4 boys same thing. this is the truth in the world today.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Jess,
I agree 100% that kids need to be taught that it is wrong for someone to touch or look at those areas. The statistics are scary. Thanks for the comment.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home