Saturday, August 05, 2006

My Day...

I learned something today. Something interesting that I had never thought of before. Maybe I'm just young and naive, or maybe I never had a reason to think about it. But today I found out that planning to have a 'veg day'-(read: sit and do nothing in your pj's all day)-is like giving a preschooler caffeine at dinner and expecting them to go to bed on time. It never ends up the way you want it to.

My day started by being woken up at 7 am by my mother who was frantically packing because she "overslept." She was traveling from my apartment in Northern Michigan to her home in Southwest Michigan. There wasn't a specific time she had to leave, or arrive at her home, she just wanted to leave 'early.' Now for me, anything before 9am is 'early.' Apparently that wasn't the case for her. So she packed what few things she took out of her suitcase when she arrived yesterday, and left around 8am. At this point, my only plans for the day were eat, watch some cartoons and take a nap. The food and the cartoon's happened, the nap did not. And this is why....

I got bored. After having some way to expensive coffee and some extremely unhealthy Burger King breakfast-(I knew I shouldn't have moved next door to the breakfast king)-I messed around on my computer a bit, checked out the shows on tv, and became bored. A nap at this point was futile because I had 2 shots of espresso in my cafe mocha and was wide awake. Hence, the boredom set in. After watching infomercials for about an hour, I looked in the spare bedroom and saw my camera sitting there. My old 1970's Minolta camera that was my Uncle Keith's before he died in a plane crash. I realized that I hadn't taken a picture with it in over 2 years so I got some 35mm film and hopped in my car. I didn't know where I was going, I just knew I had a camera and a full tank of gas. My travel's took me to a local cross country ski trail--which was only 5 miles away.

I parked, hopped out of my car and headed down the trail. I looked at my camera hanging around my neck and realized that I really didn't remember a lot about the settings for the different kinds of pictures. I fiddled with it for a little while and figured the film only cost me $12 and developing would cost me around $8 so I'd only be out $20 if the pictures sucked. Then I walked through the woods with my camera around my neck, my cell phone in my pocket, and a bottle of water in my hand.

I stopped and took pictures along the way while I trekked through the woods on the trail and about 30-40 minutes down the trail I decided to turn around and head back because I was hungry and it was hot. It should've taken me about 30 minutes to get back to my car, but of course thanks to good ole' Murphy, it took me 90 minutes. It took me 90 minutes to get back because 1) The map I had sucked and 2) I apparently turned onto another trail somewhere during my trek. So I finally made it back to my car, in one piece. I made the short trip home and then....

My neighbor called about 30 minutes after I walked in the door. She needed a babysitter. I went and took care of the world's cutest baby for 3 hours. As I was leaving to go to my apartment-(we live in the same building)-she asked me if I could come back at 10pm and stay until 2am. I figured why not, I can always use the money. So that's how my 'veg day' turned out. It kind of reminds me of the 1 day I had nothing to do when I was in London and we ended up getting lost and getting back to the hotel well after curfew. It just never works out the way you want it to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home