Sunday, January 29, 2006

Some People...

The preschool I work at is closed tomorrow. This was a last minute decision that was made today by the director. The reason she was forced to close the center was because too many staff member's called in on Friday to say that they wouldn't be in on Monday. Now some of them had legitimate reasons, some of them just wanted a long weekend. I understand that sometimes people just need an extra day off, but the people who are taking a 'long weekend' seem to take long weekends quite often. It's very frustrating to me, and the other staff members who actually show up, when our co-workers do this. Those of us who actually show up on a regular basis lose a day's pay because of these certain people who can't seem to understand the concept of actually working a job. In addition, we-(the teacher's who rarely call in or at least have legitimate reasons when we do call in) have to deal with the parents the next day. Trust me, they are none too happy when this happens. Most of the parents we work with are students at the University where the child care center is located--they have classes to attend and jobs to work on campus. I guess my biggest complaint is that the teacher's who just don't feel like coming in don't seem to understand that they can't just take off whenever they feel like it. I would've loved to stay downstate with my boyfriend for an extra day, but I came back tonight knowing that I was scheduled to work tomorrow. What these teachers do doesn't just affect them, it affects the kids, the parents, the staff at the University-(we have plenty of professor's kids too), and the other teacher's at the center.

You're probably wondering why these teacher's don't get fired. The main reason is my boss is way to lenient. She hates to fire people and often times it takes 6 months to a year to get a staff member transferred to another work site on campus because she keeps giving them "2nd chances." The other problem is that a lot of them can't really be fired. They can be transferred to another work site on campus but because they are work study students, they have to be placed somewhere. Generally by this time in the year, there's not a whole lot of places to transfer too because most of the work sites have all the work study students they need.

So that's my rant for this Sunday night. I am really not looking forward to working on Wednesday because I can almost guarantee that there is going to be more then a handful of parents who are none too happy with us. I guess on a good note, I get to sleep in tomorrow-(although I will be losing my pay for Monday)-and I don't have to work Tuesday morning so I won't have to deal with the full force of the pissed off parents.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Wow, those people are doing everyone such a disservice. They need some serious work-ethic training.

Yay for sleeping in, but sorry you're missing out on a day of pay!

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home