Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Pass the Chocolate...

It's been one of those days. Actually it started this weekend, but today definately takes the cake. After being put down-(read: made to feel like crap) this weekend for having good grades, I got bulldozed by the "I hate you" crowd today.

The day started with my Experimental Psychology class going okay, I actually understood what the teacher was talking about. Then I met my roomate for lunch, she asked me to help her with some homework after we ate. I said okay, she pulled out the homework and handed it to me--it was for economics. I know nothing about economics so I handed it back to her and told her I didn't know how to do it. She responded "well you should, you are the smart one aren't you?" The comment kind of caught me off guard but it didn't really bother me that much.

Fast forward 20 minutes to my Experimental Psychology lab. The girl that sits next to me-(a senior in college)-has decided that the best way to pass the lab portion of the class is to copy my work-when she's not complaining about not understanding what to do-(probably because she's writing e-mails or looking at facebook the whole damn time). I always love it when somebody else gets credit for my work. So I make it through lab, turn in my work and go to my next class. My next class goes off as it usually does, me and maybe 1 other person contributing to the 'class discussion'-(professor's questions) while the other students sit like bumps on a log.

So I get out of class and decide to walk next door to work and pick up some books I left there. While I'm there my boss offers me another shift. I said okay and didn't think anything of it. Well apparently I was 3rd in line for this shift....unfortunately I was the 1st one asked due to the other 2 people not having the greatest track records. I didn't know that they were passed up for the shift and caught hell from these 2 people since they were both there when I was offered the shift.

So in short, it's just been a bad day. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have my mom on one side telling me that I'm not good enough, then I have my classmates and co-workers telling me I'm too good. I can't win. What is so wrong with doing certain things well? I don't walk around and tell everybody what my GPA is, or that I'm better then they are. I pretty much keep to myself and if somebody asks me something, I answer. I guess the bottom line is I feel like I can't just be me. I'm in my 3rd year of college, but I feel like I'm in high school. I didn't realize that there was such a bad vibe associated with doing well. What ever happened to a simple "good job?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I'll give it to you...


GOOD JOB.

I think you are doing excellent. Don't listen to those people who will bring you down - you are doing great and LIVING UP TO YOUR POTENTIAL...which is what a college education *should* be all about!

9:15 PM  
Blogger The Library Lady said...

Jen, there are a lot of people out there who want to be praised for just getting out of bed and showing up at class or work in the morning.People like you who work at your schoolwork and job and are clearly succeeding make them jealous, and they are showing it!

It doesn't take away from you, it just makes them smaller. I know that doesn't make it any more pleasant, but know that and be proud of yourself.

Sorry it's not coming from YOUR mom (who obviously doesn't know what she's missing),but it IS coming from a mother of daughters--keep going because you are doing things RIGHT!!!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home