Sunday, April 17, 2005

Quotes

I was looking through my Preschool Classroom Management textbook and saw quite a few quotes that I liked. So I'm going to post them here:

1."A classroom is a place with four walls with tomorrow inside." -Claudia Lesman Boysen
2. "A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops." -Henry Adams
3. "Play is the foundation of growth, learning, and development for children." -Bill Page
4. "Think of what a better world it would be if we all had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon."-Robert Fulghum
5. "Good discipline is a series of little victories in which a teacher, through small decencies, reaches a child's heart."-Haim Ginott
6. "We must see that every child has equal opportunity not to become equal, but to become different-to realize the unique potential he or she possesses."-John Fischer
7. "A teacher is one who brings us tools and enables us to use them."-Keam Toomer

My personal favorites are 3 and 4. I am forever getting questioned by parents about what time of day we stop playing and start teaching their kids. If incorporated correctly, play is the most effective and valuable medium for kids to learn through. In addition, I get comments like "why are you so tired, all you do is play all day!" Part of me wants to smack these people, and the other part of me wants to have them do my job for a day.
I like 4 because 3 o'clock is our snack time and I know I'm dying for some chocolate chip cookies at about that time. If nothing else, just to have a little bit of comfort before diving back into the pool of piranha's-er...kids.

What's your favorite?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicolette said...

Working with kids is mentally and physically exhausting. People often devalue the work of others, because they don't understand it.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I agree. Working with kids is mentally and physically exhausting. For me, it's more mental then physical though. By the time I get to Friday, my mind is mush.
I never thought about people devaluing others work because they don't understand it. It's interesting, and true.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home